Just this morning I saw a post on digg about 21 Surefire Tips for a Successful Blog Launch. I found that this article has lot of good pointers to have a successful blogs. I will just make a summary on what I've really like on this article by aviva directory .
1. Never ever launch a blog if you have only few post on it. The reason for this is some readers wont find your blog interesting or they will find youre not serious with your blog. Unless your Matt Cutts or any other known people in a specific industry.
2. RSS feeds is a must. If you're running a blog, One of the most important part of your blog is the RSS feeds. RSS feeds are one of ways to spread and make your blog popular. Some people just dont know about your new blog so the way to reach your readers is through RSS feeds submitted to known RSS readers. You must implement a code in your blog a RSS subscribe on these popular newsreader like Bloglines, MyYahoo!, Google Reader, and MyMSN.
3. Social Bookmarking. Another way to get your blog available and convenient for your readers is adding your site to Del.icio.us and Digg. Personally I've had lot of success on Digg and Del.icio.us to have more readers on my blog.
4. Get as many blog partner as you can (a.k.a. Blogging exchange). This is one of the way to reach your readers. This is like a refferal program. Just like an exchange link. Blogging on someones blog might help you get notice by readers. Just make sure you are doing these on same niche. Otherwise this is useless. Because you have to target the viewer of your partner's blog.
5. Link Building. You have to do some basic SEO on your blog.
These are some of the basic SEO that you must do.
a. Submit to directories such as DMOZ, Yahoo, Aviva and other good directories.
b. Add a signature in every forum you're participating.
c. If you have a myspace or any other social networking sites account. Add it to your profile. It will give you an exposure to future readers of your site.
At the end of the article just saw a really good tips in starting a blog. Even if you dont have a reader in your blog dont worry about it. Someone will find you sooner or later. Just keep on blogging and do a good promotional strategy on your blog and you'll be fine.
Goodluck to your blog if you're planning to launch one.